Dear Members and Friends,
This week, we were delighted to host a fascinating panel discussion on the topic of how education technology (EdTech) has progressed since the Covid-19 lost learning crisis. It focused on how organisations are working to deliver EdTech solutions to learners without access to the internet, as well as the potential of EdTech in skills development – both around digital skills and teacher training, and to deliver a positive social impact and support female empowerment. More about this in a blog from Amalie.
This week also saw the Prime Minister indicate a change in the approach to A Levels. Whatever we might think of the relative merits of the proposal, it will only begin to have an effect on the UK’s skills challenges in the longer term. There is still much to be done in the short and medium term to address this – both in the UK and internationally, and many of you are actively involved in this activity already.
Next week, we are looking forward to the next session in our ‘Intersections with Climate Change’ series, this time focusing on the intersection with Education. We are also hosting a webinar that aims to provide some of the latest practical advice to organisations seeking to work on Ukraine’s Reconstruction and Recovery, focusing on three key aspects – security, contracting and insurance. I hope you find this session useful. You can register for these events here.
With September just having been announced as the warmest on record, it is very timely that our climate change team is busy preparing for the launch of a new BEI member positioning paper on Climate Finance. You can now register for the launch event on 8th November. It is a critical topic and promises to be a great event.
British Expertise International
Recordings of recent past events:
- 13th September 2023: FCDO Development Director Series: Ethiopia
- 19th September 2023: FCDO Development Director Series: Pakistan
- 26th September 2023: Intersections with Climate Change in International Development
- 3rd October 2023: Ed Tech Panel Event
Key events coming up include the following:
- 10th October 2023 10:00-11:30 BST: Ukraine Recovery | Security, Insurance and Contracting - British Expertise International continues its engagement on Ukraine recovery and reconstruction with a virtual panel event providing practical advice to UK organisations in the key areas of risk, security, insurance and contracting.
- 11th October 2023 10:00-11:30 BST: Intersection of Climate Change and Education - Education is integral to promoting positive climate action as it aids people in understanding the impacts of the climate crisis and how to address them. Organisations delivering international development programming in education must consider the current and future impacts of climate change. This needs to be reflected in immediate programming (for example, in improving access) as well as curriculum development more broadly.
- 17th October 2023 10:15-11:15 BST: FCDO Development Director Series: Nepal - Join us as we host Pippa Bird, the Development Director in Nepal for the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) who will present FCDO’s development strategy, programming and pipeline of opportunities in Nepal.
- 17th October 2023 15:00-16:30 BST: Taskforce on Nature-Related Financial Disclosures - Join us at 23 Grafton Street or virtually as we showcase the Taskforce on Nature-Related Financial Disclosures (TNFD) framework. If joining in person, please feel free to arrive from 14:30 for tea/coffee/networking. If you are joining us virtually, the Teams link for the 15:00-16:00 meeting will be shared with you following registration.
- 19th October 2023 15:00-16:30 BST: Operational Sustainability - In the time of climate crisis, it is paramount that businesses continuously evaluate and improve sustainability within all of their activities. Our panel will discuss how organisations can understand, assess, improve and communicate their environmental sustainability at the operational level, taking into account the international policy landscape and regulation, and building the business case for sustainability.
- 23rd October 2023 09:00-16:30 BST: Engaging with USAID - UK Partners Day - Join us for BEI’s Series of events engaging with USAID. We are delighted to be joined for a one-day event by 4 senior representatives from USAID as well as welcoming back Mike Shanley from Konektid International. Our speakers will run 2 panel discussions in the morning followed by afternoon break out sessions and 1-1 sessions which can be booked by members individually with each of the speakers.
- 24th October 2023 10:00-11:00 BST: Morocco Education Deep Dive with the Department for Business and Trade - Join us for a deep dive into the education opportunities in Morocco. Leading on from BEI’s Ambassador Series, we are following up with a deep dive into the education opportunities in Morocco led by the Department of Business and Trade where representatives will provide us with an insight into the key education priorities for the UK looking to do business in Morocco.
- 25th October 2023 16:00-18:30 BST: International Day of The Girl - Join us for an evening reception and learning panel discussion to commemorate the International Day of the Girl. We will be joined by Alicia Herbert OBE, FCDO Director of Education, Gender and Equalities and the UK’s Special Envoy for Gender Equality, as well as colleagues from the Girls’ Education Challenge (GEC). We will discuss the role played by Women’s Rights Organisations (WRO’s) within the GEC and will celebrate the partnership’s impact.
- 26th October 2023 09:00-14:00 BST: UK-Armenia Business Forum - Join the UK-Armenia Business Forum at 23 Grafton Street, with senior participation from the Ministry of Economy of Armenia as part of the visiting delegation. The agenda includes an overview of the economy and ease of doing business, as well as deep-dives on current opportunities in energy, infrastructure, logistics and technology.
- 26th October 2023 15:00-19:30 BST: Water Resilience Working Group Launch - Join us at 23 Grafton Street as we launch a new working group stream focusing on Water Resilience. Alongside some of the steering group’s members, we will provide an overview of the new working group’s aims and objectives and offer a platform for member discussion of our plans for the first 6 months and the group’s potential outputs. The panel discussion will be followed by a networking reception.
- 31st October 2023 10:00-11:30 GMT: Intersection of Climate Change and Conflict Prevention - The BEI ‘Intersections with Climate Change’ series continues with an event focusing on the key intersection of Climate Change and Conflict Prevention. Our panel will discuss how their organisations are adapting their approach in response to climate change across their programmes and interventions relating to the intersection of climate change and conflict prevention.
- 1st November 2023 10:00-11:30 GMT: FCDO Development Director Series: Bangladesh - Join us as we host Matt Cannell, the Development Director in Bangladesh for the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) who will present FCDO’s development strategy, programming and pipeline of opportunities in Bangladesh.
- 1st November 2023 16:00-18:30 GMT: Education Working Group: Soft Power - Join us for our quarterly in-person Education Working Group in November, focusing on Soft Power. This session will be run by our sister organisation, British Foreign Policy Group (BFPG), and will discuss the contribution of the Education Sector to the UK’s Soft Power proposition, as well as the ways in which the education sector can leverage its positioning internationally.
- 2nd November 2023 10:00-11:00 GMT: Resolving Trade Barriers in Eastern Europe & Central Asia - Join us online to learn about the UK government’s approach to resolving barriers to trade in Eastern Europe & Central Asia, to gain a deeper understanding of the UK Trade Programme and to start new conversations on the challenges and solutions of market access in the region.
- 6th November 2023 10:00-11:30 GMT: Azerbaijan - Market Opportunity Overview - Azerbaijan has made significant political and regulatory reforms which have increased the attractiveness and competitiveness of the country. With the biggest airport, seaport and railway network in the region, Azerbaijan is a logistics hub for the Caspian region and a crucial element in the Middle Corridor. This webinar will cover specific project opportunities in infrastructure, green energy, security, agriculture, healthcare, IT and education.
- 8th November 2023 15:00 for 15:30-17:00 GMT, followed by networking drinks - Climate Finance Report Launch - This paper frames challenges in mobilising climate finance in terms of system-level barriers – relating to the quantity and quality of climate finance, as well as systems and distribution channels used to deliver climate finance – and country-level barriers – relating to the policy, institutional, capacity, transparency and accountability structures in recipient countries as well as the maturity of a pipeline of investments.
- 14th November 2023 16:00-17:30 GMT: UK International Development Strategy Round Table with Melinda Bohannon - Join us for an in-person round table on the UK’s International Development Strategy, with an address from Guest of Honour, Melinda Bohannon, interim Director General, Humanitarian and Development at the FCDO. Melinda will speak on the UK’s International Development Strategy and address key priorities for the UK in delivering Humanitarian Aid in the context of the broader humanitarian agenda for the FCDO.
- 15th November 2023 10:00-11:30 GMT: FCDO Development Director Series: Syria - Join us as we host Peter McDermot, the Development Director in Syria for the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) who will present FCDO’s development strategy, programming and pipeline of opportunities in Syria.
- 22nd November 2023 10:00-11:30 GMT: Challenges and Solutions for Profit Repatriation in African Markets - For multinational organisations operating in Africa, the repatriation of profits can be a challenge in some markets due to currency volatility, foreign exchange controls, economic instability, and regulatory restrictions. Join us as our panel explores some of these complex challenges, and hear from some of the organisations who can help companies navigate them.
- 2nd-5th October 2023: Africa Partnership Conference - The Africa Partnership Conference (APC) is a high-level networking and collaborative platform hosted by the Economic Development Board of Mauritius with the strategic aim of creating a sustainable and inclusive investment value chain for Africa. It is the flagship conference linking project promoters from across several African countries including Investment Promotion Agencies (IPAs) to venture capitalists fund managers, DFIs, tax advisors, institutional investors and entrepreneurs with a view to create greater collaboration in enabling insightful debates on the key issues shaping Africa’s prospects for growth.
- 12th-13th October 2023: Hydrogen Conference in Maseru - Metsi Ke Bophelo is the organiser of Lesotho’s first Water And Hydrogen In a Digital Future – Conference & Expo, that will be held at ‘Manthabiseng Convention Centre on 12 and 13 October 2023, in Maseru- Lesotho.
- 29th October-2nd November 2023: Egypt Energy Conference and Trade Mission - The UK’s Department for Business & Trade cordially invites you to join our delegation of UK companies under our pavilion at the ‘Egypt Energy’ in Cairo. Egypt Energy is a conference and exhibition for the continent’s most influential clean growth stakeholders. It aims to drive policies; promote innovation and stimulate deals that will position UK business ahead as Africa takes more steps towards sustainable energy.
- 18th-19th November 2023: Guyana Diaspora Sustainability & Investment Conference, London - Network with a group of seasoned international executives, businesspeople, academia and government officials from Guyana and learn about business opportunities in one of the fastest-growing economies in the world in sectors such as energy, technology, healthcare, education, and manufacturing.
Not a member?
For more information about British Expertise International:
- Sign up to receive this Weekly Update
- View our upcoming events
- Becoming a member
- Follow us on Twitter
- Join our Linkedin group