Dear Members and Friends,
It has been a very busy week - and we are delighted to have worked with over 40 members to develop and publish our newest report Beyond Boundaries: The Role of UK-Based Organisations in Advancing Global Gender Equality and Social Inclusion.
I am in awe of the extraordinary case studies it features, and it goes without saying that we thank all the members who have contributed to its launch. Read Lara’s comments on the launch event here. I also wanted to note, and thank, the expert contribution of Mark Broomfield from Ricardo, who spoke at our Climate Change Working Group networking evening about Air Pollution. It was a great session, appreciated by all. Recordings of the other events that have taken place this week are available below.
In 23 Grafton Street, we look forward to our ‘In Person’ week of ‘Meet The Ambassadors’. We look forward to welcoming the UK’s Ambassadors/High Commissioners from 17 markets in the week itself, with direct contributions from Australia; Viet Nam, The Philippines and Cambodia; Japan and South Korea; Pakistan; UAE; Morocco, Ethiopia, Sierra Leone, Malawi and Mozambique; Kazakhstan; Ukraine; Mexico and Peru. Sessions are being added to the Events Page as and when they are confirmed, with the up-to-date list.
I am pleased to provide you with a link to the excellent materials shared by 3IE around their report into ‘Strengthening Resilience against Shocks and Stressors in LMICs: A 3ie Evidence Gap Map and Report’. The subject of a recent event, this gives you a more complete view of the work they conducted. The evidence gap map, providing an overview of the evidence base for programming that seeks to strengthen resilience against covariate shocks, stressors, and recurring crises in low- and middle-income countries, can be found here.
At last it looks like the sun has decided to come out – I hope it shines wherever you are over the Bank Holiday Weekend
British Expertise International/Strategy International
Recordings of recent past events:
- 16th May 2023: The Social Impacts of Energy Transition in Africa
- 16th May 2023: Peru infrastructure pipeline with ProInversión
- 25th May 2023: Health in a Changing Climate: The Intersection of Climate Change and Healthcare
Key events coming up include the following:
- 31st May 2023 16:00-19:30 BST: Road Freight Decarbonisation in Latin America - Join us as we delve into the current challenges and opportunities for decarbonising road freight globally, with a focus on the Latin American region. We will explore solutions and decarbonisation roadmaps in Latin American countries and the potential for UK stakeholders to collaborate and transfer knowledge, experiences and capacities to contribute to the decarbonisation of road freight in the region.
- 1st June 2023 10:00-12:00 BST: Roundtable on Preparing for a Potential Labour Government - Join British Expertise International for an in-person roundtable with Nick Forbes CBE who will speak on the likely changes in UK policy if there is a change in government at the next election and how this will affect British businesses. Nick will also update members on the likely themes and priorities which will be reflected in the Labour manifesto, covering areas such as foreign policy and inclusion of marginalised groups.
- 8th June 2023 10:00-11:00 BST: Meet The Ambassador: Mongolia & Kyrgyzstan - Join us virtually as we welcome Philip Malone LVO, British Ambassador to Mongolia & Ann Herrigan, Deputy Head of Mission at the British Embassy in Bishkek
- 12th June 2023 10:20-11:20 BST: Meet The Ambassador: Cambodia - Join us as we welcome Dominic Williams MBE, the British Ambassador to Cambodia.
- 12th June 2023 14:40-15:40 BST: Meet The Ambassador: Ethiopia - Join us as we welcome Darren Welch, Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
- 13th June 2023 10:20-11:20 BST: Meet The Ambassador: Pakistan - Join us as we welcome Andrew Dalgleish, the Acting High Commissioner to Pakistan.
- 14th June 2023 14:40-15:40 BST: Meet The Ambassadors: Malawi & Mozambique - Join us as we welcome Fiona Ritchie, British High Commissioner to the Republic of Malawi & Helen Lewis, British High Commissioner to the Republic of Mozambique.
- 15th June 2023 13:00-14:00 BST: Meet The Ambassador: Kazakhstan - Join us as we welcome Kathy Leach, Her Majesty's British Ambassador to the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- 16th June 2023 08:30-09:30 BST: Meet The Ambassador: Australia - Join us as we welcome Vicki Treadell, the British High Commissioner to Australia.
- 16th June 2023 11:40-12:40 BST: Meet The Ambassador: Ukraine - Join us as we welcome Melinda Simmons DCMG, Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Ukraine.
- 16th June 2023 14:40-15:40 BST: Meet The Ambassador: Viet Nam - Join us as we welcome Iain Frew, the UK’s Ambassador to Viet Nam.
- 16th June 2023 15:50-16:50 BST: Meet The Ambassadors: Japan & South Korea - Join us as we welcome Julia Longbottom CMG, Her Majesty's Ambassador to Japan and Colin Crooks LVO, Her Majesty's Ambassador to South Korea.
- 20th June 2023 12:00-13:00 BST: Meet The Ambassadors: Ghana & Nigeria - Join us virtually as we welcome Harriet Thompson, British High Commissioner to the Republic of Ghana and Richard Montgomery CMG, British High Commissioner to Nigeria.
- 22nd June 2023 10:20-11:20 BST: Meet The Ambassador: Algeria - Join us virtually as we welcome Sharon Wardle, Her Majesty's Ambassador to Algeria.
- 22nd June 2023 11:40-12:40 BST: Meet The Ambassador: Namibia - Join us virtually as we welcome Charles Moore, British High Commissioner to the Republic of Namibia.
- 26th June 2023 10:20-11:20 BST: Meet The Ambassadors: South Africa & Botswana - Join us as we welcome Antony Phillipson & Sian Price, British High Commissioners to South Africa & Botswana.
- 4th July 2023 12:00-15:00 BST: Roundtable with Nick Dyer, Director General, Humanitarian and Development (in person)- Join us for an in-person roundtable with Nick Dyer, Director General, Humanitarian and Development. Nick will provide an overview of the UK’s International Development Strategy (IDS) and address the key priorities for the UK in delivering humanitarian aid.
- 6th July 2023 14:30-16:30 BST: Roundtable with Mark Eastwood, UK’s Trade Envoy to Pakistan - Join us for an in-person roundtable with Mark Eastwood, the United Kingdom’s Trade Envoy to Pakistan who will speak to the subject of Government-to-Government discussions between the UK and Pakistan on infrastructure, renewables, and education, and will provide members with an update on the current trade dialogue between the two countries.
- 20th-23rd June: Join the Africa Energy Forum - The Africa Energy Forum is a conference and exhibition for the continent’s most influential clean growth stakeholders. It aims to drive policies; promote innovation and stimulate deals that will position UK business ahead as Africa takes more steps towards sustainable energy. Please use the link above to register!
Not a member?
For more information about British Expertise International: