Dear Members and Friends,
After the pomp of the weekend, there was no rest for many of you as the Education World Forum kicked off in London on Sunday. You can read Luisa’s observations about a number of events that we participated in and the two events we hosted here. Although our session with the World Bank was sadly postponed due to illness, we hosted an event with 3ie presenting their report on ‘Strengthening Resilience against Shocks and Stressors in LMICs’. You can find links to recordings below.
As promised, our plans for this year’s ‘Meet The Ambassador’ programme are taking shape – with the first five in person sessions now confirmed. We look forward to welcoming the ambassadors from The Philippines, Indonesia, Pakistan, Viet Nam and Cambodia in person w/c 12th June. We also look forward to welcoming the Ambassadors from South Africa and Botswana slightly later as their schedules allow – on w/c 26th June. Details are below, and more will be shared next week.
Let’s hope the rain showers finally abate a little this weekend.
British Expertise International/Strategy International
Recordings of recent past events:
- 4th May 2023: Integrated Review Refresh: Implications for UK Trade and International Affairs
- 11th May 2023: Strengthening Resilience against Shocks and Stressors in LMICs: A 3ie Evidence Gap Map and Report
Key events coming up include the following:
- 16th May 2023 10:00-11:30 BST: The Social Impacts of Energy Transition in Africa - This event will examine some of the social impacts of energy transition on the African continent. We will hear from our panel on their experience of what they are already seeing on the ground in markets that have seen the swiftest transition to renewable energy sources and discuss the potential future in terms of where our panel see the energy transition bringing the greatest societal benefits – and challenges – in the short and longer term.
- 16th May 2023 15:00-16:30 BST: Peru infrastructure pipeline with ProInversión - We are pleased to welcome Peru’s promotion agency, ProInversión, who will provide an overview of the latest infrastructure pipeline including projects in energy, highways and water treatment plans. ProInversión is a specialized technical agency, attached to the Ministry of Economy and Finance, with legal status under public law, technical, functional, administrative, economic and financial autonomy.
- 18th May 2023 12:30-14:30 BST: Meet the Trade Envoy for Bangladesh, Rushanara Ali (in person) - Rushanara Ali MP. Rushanara will provide members with an overview of the future developments and market priorities in Bangladesh, as well as upcoming Government-to-Government plans and future engagements between the UK and Bangladesh which may be of interest.
- 23rd May 2023 16:00-18:00 BST: BEI Report Launch: Gender Equality & Social Inclusion (in person) - Join us at this networking reception to celebrate the launch of our new report. This is an excellent opportunity to recognise the outstanding work of the GESI working group, and to acknowledge their exceptional contributions to the field. You will also have the chance to network with like-minded organisations and individuals, who share the same passion for making a positive impact on people's lives around the world.
- 24th May 2023 16:00-19:00 BST: Climate Change Networking Evening (in person) - Join us for an evening of thought-provoking conversation, potential new partnerships and the chance to meet with members of our Climate Change Working Group. After the success of our last Climate Change Networking Evening, this is an event not to be missed.
- 25th May 2023 10:00-11:30 BST: Health in a Changing Climate: The Intersection of Climate Change and Healthcare - Join British Expertise International for an online webinar on ‘health in a changing climate’. We will be joined by international SOS, Options, and Crown Agents who will cover the impact of climate change on healthcare and global health care security systems, as well as their work in increasing the resilience of communities to the future impacts of climate change.
- 31st May 2023 16:00-19:30 BST: Road Freight Decarbonisation in Latin America - Join us as we delve into the current challenges and opportunities for decarbonising road freight globally, with a focus on the Latin American region. We will explore solutions and decarbonisation roadmaps in Latin American countries and the potential for UK stakeholders to collaborate and transfer knowledge, experiences and capacities to contribute to the decarbonisation of road freight in the region.
- 1st June 2023 10:00-12:00 BST: Roundtable on Preparing for a Potential Labour Government - Join British Expertise International for an in-person roundtable with Nick Forbes CBE who will speak on the likely changes in UK policy if there is a change in government at the next election and how this will affect British businesses. Nick will also update members on the likely themes and priorities which will be reflected in the Labour manifesto, covering areas such as foreign policy and inclusion of marginalised groups.
- 12th June 2023 10:20-11:20 BST: Meet The Ambassador: Cambodia - Join us as we welcome Dominic Williams MBE, the British Ambassador to Cambodia.
- 13th June 2023 10:20-11:20 BST: Meet The Ambassador: Pakistan - Join us as we welcome Andrew Dalgleish the Acting High Commissioner to Pakistan.
- 16th June 2023 14:40-15:40 BST: Meet The Ambassador: Viet Nam - Join us as we welcome Iain Frew, the UK’s Ambassador to Viet Nam.
- 20th June 2023 10:00-11.30 BST: UKEF and Global Britain -- Immediate and medium-term region and sector priorities (in person) - Join us for a roundtable discussion with Tim Reid, the Chief Executive of UK Export Finance (UKEF), discussing ‘UKEF and Global Britain -- Immediate and medium-term region and sector priorities’. The discussion will include current challenges, such as the crisis in Ukraine as well focusing on medium-term priorities, such as U.K. expertise assisting energy transition.
- 4th July 2023 12:00-15:00 BST: Roundtable with Nick Dyer, Director General, Humanitarian and Development (in person)- Join us for an in-person roundtable with Nick Dyer, Director General, Humanitarian and Development. Nick will provide an overview of the UK’s International Development Strategy (IDS) and address the key priorities for the UK in delivering humanitarian aid.
For an overview of our planned events for the early part of the year, you can see a useful infographic here: BEI Winter/Spring Events Programme 2023
- UK Saudi Business, Trade and Partnership Forum
- Website: www.uksaudipartnershipforum.co.uk
Date: 7 June 2023
Location: Mansion House, City of London, EC4N 8BH
- Join SBJBC on the 7th of June in London and network with global leaders from both industry and government. Engage in sector specific workshops that provide deep insight into key growth areas for UK Saudi trade and access speakers' expertise during the Q/A and discussion sections. The Forum will review the progress of Saudi Vision 2030 implementation since its launch in 2016 and the opportunities for further UK/Saudi trade, investment and expertise exchange
Not a member?
For more information about British Expertise International: