Dear Members and Friends,
With short weeks this week and next week, you might be forgiven for thinking there was not much going on – but you would be mistaken. This week, we were pleased to host an event in partnership with our sister organisation, British Foreign Policy Group (BFPG) – on the implications of the Integrated Review Refresh. The session was led by the newly appointed Director of BFPG, Evie Aspinall and Eliza Keogh, Researcher and Programmes Manager. You can catch up on the event’s highlights and some more details about the plans for BFPG here. Next week, London is hosting the Education World Forum, the world largest gathering of Education and Skills Ministers and we have a series of events to coincide with the conference. As is ever the case with a big event like this, timings are very fluid until the very last minute, so I thought I would take the opportunity to confirm the current plan for next week.
On Tuesday 9th we will be taking part in two events:
Breakfast Reception with the Africa Ministers
Promoting Women and Girls Education in ASEAN - an FCDO led session launching the new regional framework and discussing plans for the UK-ASEAN partnership going forward. To register, please follow this link
On Wednesday 10th, we look forward to hosting the World Bank for an in-person Clinic event on navigating the procurement process and showcasing some of the current procurement opportunities. To register, please follow this link
On Thursday 11th, we are delighted to be joined by the ASEAN Secretariat’s Head of Education, Youth and Sports, Dr. Roger Yap Chao Jr. Roger will be giving an overview of the ASEAN Work Plan on Education 2021-2025. To register, please follow this link
Finally our plans for the face to face elements of the ‘Meet The Ambassador’ programme are slowly taking shape, as the agenda becomes firmer for the Ambassadors themselves. We will be hosting the majority of the face to face briefings on Monday 12th and Friday 16th June in person at 23 Grafton Street. Please save the dates – there will be plenty of ‘hot-desking’ space available on both days, together with plenty of fresh tea and coffee. Please block out the days in you diaries and we will begin confirming specific dates and times early next week.
I hope you all enjoy the celebrations over the weekend, even if the forecast is a little gloomy
British Expertise International/Strategy International
Recordings of recent past events:
- Uzbekistan Infrastructure Deep Dive - This virtual event acted as an opportunity for UK-based organisations and investors to learn about current infrastructure opportunities in Uzbekistan.
- Understanding Climate Risks (Financial Implications of TCFD) - Our panel discussed the transformation of climate risk into financial risk for business, as well as the thought processes utilised by financiers in selecting what organisations and projects to finance based on how they analyse their risk portfolio.
- Making Climate Change Programming More Inclusive - We heard from an exciting panel including speakers from Options, Palladium, Social Development Direct and Sightsavers, speaking about how their organisations are making climate change programming more inclusive. They shared insights from various projects, programmes and frameworks relating to biodiversity, health, disability and how they’re making a positive change in these areas.
- UN Water Conference Panel Discussion - We hosted a session with leading experts in the water sector to explore the outcomes of this conference and the implications it has for the future of the water sector and the planet.
Key events coming up include the following:
- 9th May 2023 9:30-11:00 BST: Promoting Women and Girls Education in ASEAN - As part of the engagements around the annual Education World Forum, British Expertise International will host an in-person event marking the launch of FCDO’s new programme on ‘Promoting Women and Girls Education in ASEAN’ and the FCDO’s plans for the UK-ASEAN partnership going forward, as the UK became the ASEAN’s newest Dialogue Partner in 2021.
- 10th May 2023 15:00-16:30 BST: Clinic on World Bank’s Procurement System - Join us for an in-person meeting with specialists from the World Bank Group for a session on navigating the procurement process and showcasing some of the current procurement opportunities in the sectors of interest to BEI members.
- 11th May 2023 9:00-10:45 BST: In conversation with the Head of Education, Youth and Sports at the ASEAN Secretariat - Join us on 11th May for an in-person session with Dr. Roger Yap Chao Jr, Head of Education, Youth and Sports at the ASEAN Secretariat. Roger will be giving an overview of the ASEAN Work Plan on Education 2021-2025, focusing on Guidelines for ASEAN Countries; Declaration on Digital Transformation of Education Systems in ASEAN; the Roadmap on the ASEAN Higher Education Space; and the ASEAN TVET Council Work Plan.
- 11th May 2023 15:00-16:30 BST: Strengthening Resilience against Shocks and Stressors in LMICs: A 3ie Evidence Gap Map and Report - In a time where the effects of climate change, human-made disasters, and recurring crisis are contributing to multifaceted and complex emergencies globally, one of the key tools to mitigate these impacts is resilience. Join us as we launch 3ie’s latest Evidence Gap Map report, focused on strengthening resilience against these shocks and stresses in L&MICs!
- 16th May 2023 10:00-11:30 BST: The Social Impacts of Energy Transition in Africa - This event will examine some of the social impacts of energy transition on the African continent. We will hear from our panel on their experience of what they are already seeing on the ground in markets that have seen the swiftest transition to renewable energy sources and discuss the potential future in terms of where our panel see the energy transition bringing the greatest societal benefits – and challenges – in the short and longer term.
- 16th May 2023 15:00-16:30 BST: Peru infrastructure pipeline with ProInversión - We are pleased to welcome Peru’s promotion agency, ProInversión, who will provide an overview of the latest infrastructure pipeline including projects in energy, highways and water treatment plans. ProInversión is a specialized technical agency, attached to the Ministry of Economy and Finance, with legal status under public law, technical, functional, administrative, economic and financial autonomy.
- 18th May 2023 12:30-14:30 BST: Meet the Trade Envoy for Bangladesh, Rushanara Ali - Rushanara Ali MP. Rushanara will provide members with an overview of the future developments and market priorities in Bangladesh, as well as upcoming Government-to-Government plans and future engagements between the UK and Bangladesh which may be of interest.
- 24th May 2023 16:00-19:00 BST: Climate Change Networking Evening - Join us for an evening of thought-provoking conversation, potential new partnerships and the chance to meet with members of our Climate Change Working Group. After the success of our last Climate Change Networking Evening, this is an event not to be missed.
- 31st May 2023 16:00-19:30 BST: Road Freight Decarbonisation in Latin America - Join us as we delve into the current challenges and opportunities for decarbonising road freight globally, with a focus on the Latin American region. We will explore solutions and decarbonisation roadmaps in Latin American countries and the potential for UK stakeholders to collaborate and transfer knowledge, experiences and capacities to contribute to the decarbonisation of road freight in the region.
- 1st June 2023 10:00-12:00 BST: Roundtable on Preparing for a Potential Labour Government - Join British Expertise International for an in-person roundtable with Nick Forbes CBE who will speak on the likely changes in UK policy if there is a change in government at the next election and how this will affect British businesses. Nick will also update members on the likely themes and priorities which will be reflected in the Labour manifesto, covering areas such as foreign policy and inclusion of marginalised groups.
- 20th June 2023 10:00-11.30 BST: UKEF and Global Britain -- Immediate and medium-term region and sector priorities - Join us for a roundtable discussion with Tim Reid, the Chief Executive of UK Export Finance (UKEF), discussing ‘UKEF and Global Britain -- Immediate and medium-term region and sector priorities’. The discussion will include current challenges, such as the crisis in Ukraine as well focusing on medium-term priorities, such as U.K. expertise assisting energy transition.
- 4th July 2023 12:00-15:00 BST: Roundtable with Nick Dyer, Director General, Humanitarian and Development - Join us for an in-person roundtable with Nick Dyer, Director General, Humanitarian and Development. Nick will provide an overview of the UK’s International Development Strategy (IDS) and address the key priorities for the UK in delivering humanitarian aid.
For an overview of our planned events for the early part of the year, you can see a useful infographic here: BEI Winter/Spring Events Programme 2023
Register for an upcoming event →
- UK Saudi Business, Trade and Partnership Forum
- Website: www.uksaudipartnershipforum.co.uk
Date: 7 June 2023
Location: Mansion House, City of London, EC4N 8BH
- Join SBJBC on the 7th of June in London and network with global leaders from both industry and government. Engage in sector specific workshops that provide deep insight into key growth areas for UK Saudi trade and access speakers' expertise during the Q/A and discussion sections. The Forum will review the progress of Saudi Vision 2030 implementation since its launch in 2016 and the opportunities for further UK/Saudi trade, investment and expertise exchange
Not a member?
For more information about British Expertise International:
- Sign up to receive this Weekly Update
- View our upcoming webinar events
- Becoming a member
- Follow us on Twitter
- Join our Linkedin group