Dear Members and Friends,
A shameless plug this week for two impending events in what will be a busy summer...if ever the sun comes out…
Next week sees the launch of our report into Gender Equality and Social Inclusion. This has been a collaborative exercise with over 40 members actively engaged in providing content and case studies. The launch on Tuesday is open to all – you can register here; as we do with these report launches, we will be running a social media campaign championing the overall report and individual member case studies. My thanks to all the members who have contributed, and to our own Luisa and Lara – who have co-ordinated the design and production of the report.
We are also making good progress on the plans for our ‘Meet The Ambassador’ programme. We have in person briefings now confirmed with Cambodia, Pakistan, Australia, and Vietnam, to name a few. In addition, we have virtual sessions already confirmed with Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Ghana, and Nigeria. We will keep posting the new events as soon as they are confirmed. Our aim with the series this year is to provide more time for each ambassador to detail their country’s opportunities/needs, with specific reference to the areas of priority for you, our members. We are also ensuring there is plenty of time for questions and discussion – so come ready to ask your own questions.
Recordings of this week’s events and links to future events can be found below.
Best Wishes and have a peaceful weekend,
British Expertise International/Strategy International
Recordings of recent past events:
- 4th May 2023: Integrated Review Refresh: Implications for UK Trade and International Affairs
- 11th May 2023: Strengthening Resilience against Shocks and Stressors in LMICs: A 3ie Evidence Gap Map and Report
- 16th May 2023: The Social Impacts of Energy Transition in Africa
- 16th May 2023: Peru infrastructure pipeline with ProInversión
Key events coming up include the following:
- 23rd May 2023 16:00-18:00 BST: BEI Report Launch: Gender Equality & Social Inclusion (in person) - Join us at this networking reception to celebrate the launch of our new report. This is an excellent opportunity to recognise the outstanding work of the GESI working group, and to acknowledge their exceptional contributions to the field. You will also have the chance to network with like-minded organisations and individuals, who share the same passion for making a positive impact on people's lives around the world.
- 24th May 2023 16:00-19:00 BST: Climate Change Networking Evening (in person) - Join us for an evening of thought-provoking conversation, potential new partnerships and the chance to meet with members of our Climate Change Working Group. After the success of our last Climate Change Networking Evening, this is an event not to be missed.
- 25th May 2023 10:00-11:30 BST: Health in a Changing Climate: The Intersection of Climate Change and Healthcare - Join British Expertise International for an online webinar on ‘health in a changing climate’. We will be joined by international SOS, Options, and Crown Agents who will cover the impact of climate change on healthcare and global health care security systems, as well as their work in increasing the resilience of communities to the future impacts of climate change.
- 31st May 2023 16:00-19:30 BST: Road Freight Decarbonisation in Latin America - Join us as we delve into the current challenges and opportunities for decarbonising road freight globally, with a focus on the Latin American region. We will explore solutions and decarbonisation roadmaps in Latin American countries and the potential for UK stakeholders to collaborate and transfer knowledge, experiences and capacities to contribute to the decarbonisation of road freight in the region.
- 1st June 2023 10:00-12:00 BST: Roundtable on Preparing for a Potential Labour Government - Join British Expertise International for an in-person roundtable with Nick Forbes CBE who will speak on the likely changes in UK policy if there is a change in government at the next election and how this will affect British businesses. Nick will also update members on the likely themes and priorities which will be reflected in the Labour manifesto, covering areas such as foreign policy and inclusion of marginalised groups.
- 12th June 2023 10:20-11:20 BST: Meet The Ambassador: Cambodia - Join us as we welcome Dominic Williams MBE, the British Ambassador to Cambodia.
- 13th June 2023 10:20-11:20 BST: Meet The Ambassador: Pakistan - Join us as we welcome Andrew Dalgleish, the Acting High Commissioner to Pakistan.
- 15th June 2023 13:00-14:00 BST: Meet The Ambassador: Kazakhstan - Join us as we welcome Kathy Leach, Her Majesty's British Ambassador to the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- 16th June 2023 08:30-09:30 BST: Meet The Ambassador: Australia - Join us as we welcome Vicki Treadell, the British High Commissioner to Australia.
- 16th June 2023 14:40-15:40 BST: Meet The Ambassador: Viet Nam - Join us as we welcome Iain Frew, the UK’s Ambassador to Viet Nam.
- 20th June 2023 10:00-11.30 BST: UKEF and Global Britain -- Immediate and medium-term region and sector priorities (in person) - Join us for a roundtable discussion with Tim Reid, the Chief Executive of UK Export Finance (UKEF), discussing ‘UKEF and Global Britain -- Immediate and medium-term region and sector priorities’. The discussion will include current challenges, such as the crisis in Ukraine as well focusing on medium-term priorities, such as U.K. expertise assisting energy transition.
- 26th June 2023 10:20-11:20 BST: Meet The Ambassadors: South Africa & Botswana - Join us as we welcome Antony Phillipson & Sian Price, British High Commissioners to South Africa & Botswana.
- 4th July 2023 12:00-15:00 BST: Roundtable with Nick Dyer, Director General, Humanitarian and Development (in person)- Join us for an in-person roundtable with Nick Dyer, Director General, Humanitarian and Development. Nick will provide an overview of the UK’s International Development Strategy (IDS) and address the key priorities for the UK in delivering humanitarian aid.
Register for an upcoming event →
- 20th-23rd June: Join the Africa Energy Forum - The Africa Energy Forum is a conference and exhibition for the continent’s most influential clean growth stakeholders. It aims to drive policies; promote innovation and stimulate deals that will position UK business ahead as Africa takes more steps towards sustainable energy. Please use the link above to register!
Not a member?
For more information about British Expertise International:
- Sign up to receive this Weekly Update
- View our upcoming events
- Becoming a member
- Follow us on Twitter
- Join our Linkedin group