Members and Friends,
This week we celebrated International Women’s Day. It saw the publication of the FCDO’s Strategy for Women and Girls. - you can access a copy here. We will be preparing our thoughts on this document in the coming weeks. Across 23 Grafton Street, we are undertaking a series of activities across the month of March - including an evening reception featuring Hetti Barkworth Nanton, CEO of Ploughshare, who will share her personal reflections on the ways innovation and technology can support gender equality. Links to this and other events taking place are captured below. This week we also welcomed new member, CDP, a global non-profit that runs the world’s environmental disclosure system for companies, cities, states and regions.
Economist Andrew Hilton’s monthly economic podcast for Strategy International is worth a listen. This includes a reflection on three major global geo-political & economic trends. On China's XI, the big winner out of Ukraine, being prepared to junk 'Deng Xiao Ping thought', which gave us the booming economic success of China, in order to exert further communist party control, as well as the evidence that he will, if not junk, then place under severe doubt, a sincere commitment to his net zero targets. On the arguable undermining of the global free trade era by the Biden administration's raft of protectionist measures. And on the see-saw relationship between inflation in the West and central bank interest rate policy - where it's likely to go and what that means for economic health.
Director of Marketing and Operations
British Expertise International
Key events coming up include the following:
- 16th March 2023 10:00-11:30 GMT: Market Opportunity Overview: Uganda - We are delighted to announce we will be hosting a Market Opportunity Overview on Uganda with the Department of International Trade in Uganda! Join us as we learn about the pipeline of opportunities across varying sectors, such as education, climate and infrastructure.
- 21st March 2023 17:30-20:00 GMT: In Conversation with Hetti Barkworth-Nanton - Innovation and Technology for Gender Equality - As part of our month of activities championing women and gender activities, we are honoured to be joined by Hetti Barkworth Nanton, the CEO of Ploughshare and of Refuge, who will share her reflections and experience on the opportunities and challenges around innovation and technology as forces for good in Gender Equality.
- 28th March 2023 10:00- 11:30 BST: Morocco Infrastructure Opportunities - The relationship between the UK and Morocco is entering a new era of positive relations following the UK-Morocco Association Agreement in 2022. Recent discussions have focused on renewed collaboration on trade, education, climate, clean energy and green growth, as well as the global implications of the Russia-Ukraine conflict on food and energy security.
- 28th March 2023 15:00-17:00 BST: Education Roundtable in Latin America and The Caribbean with Department for Business and Trade - Join us for an in-person presentation led by Kelly Tavares Department for Business and Trade (DBT)’s Head of Education in Latin America and The Caribbean (LATAC). Kelly will provide an overview on education opportunities for UK organisations in the region with a focus on DBT’s priority markets: Brazil, Mexico, Commonwealth Caribbean, Panama, and Columbia.
- 30th March 2023 9:00-10:30 BST: Global Victoria: Education Opportunities - Global Victoria, the State Government of Victoria's trade facilitation agency will be joint by Invest Victoria, the State Government of Victoria's investment attraction authority in presenting a range of education opportunities in the State on K12, skills and training, and education technology.
- 6th April 2023 10:00-11:15 BST: Jordan, Iraq, Lebanon Education Deep Dive with DIT - Join us for a deep dive into the education opportunities in Jordan, Iraq, and Lebanon as led by teams from the Department for International Trade and Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office. They will aim to provide us with an insight into the key education priorities for UK plc looking to do business in the three countries.
- 12th April 2023 16:00-19:00 GMT: Girls Education Challenge: Lessons Learnt - In-person panel event on the Girls’ Education Challenge, a 12-year FCDO flagship programme. We will be joined by the FCDO Girls’ Education Team as well as the alliance partners including Cambridge Education Mott MacDonald, Social Development Direct, PwC, Nathan Associates, and Tetra Tech.
- 16th April 2023 10:00-11:30 BST: The Social Impacts of Energy Transition in Africa - This event will examine some of the social impacts of energy transition on the African continent. We will hear from our panel on their experience of what they are already seeing on the ground in markets that have seen the swiftest transition to renewable energy sources and discuss the potential future in terms of where our panel see the energy transition bringing the greatest societal benefits – and challenges – in the short and longer term.
- 18th April 2023 16:00-18:00 BST: Roundtable with Mark Garnier, UK’s Trade Envoy to Viet Nam - Join us for an in-person roundtable with Mark Garnier, the United Kingdom’s Trade Envoy to Viet Nam who will provide members with his vision for Viet Nam as the newly appointed Trade Envoy. BEI members will also have the opportunity to share with Mark their business perspectives on Viet Nam.
- 19th April 2023 16:00-18:30 BST: In conversation with Andrew Dunnett - In-person roundtable meeting with Andrew Dunnett, Group Director of ESG, Sustainable Business and Foundations at Vodafone. Andrew will lead a discussion on the importance of ESG and private sector’s role in implementing impactful ESG programmes.
- 26th April 2023 13:30-15:30 BST: Roundtable with Mark Eastwood, UK’s Trade Envoy to Pakistan - Join us for an in-person roundtable with Mark Eastwood, the United Kingdom’s Trade Envoy to Pakistan who will speak to the subject of Government-to-Government discussions between the UK and Pakistan on infrastructure, renewables, and education, and will provide members with an update on the current trade dialogue between the two countries.
- 27th April 2023 11:00-14:00 BST: Donor Clinic: Doing business with USAID, in partnership with Konektid International - In-person donor clinic workshop on Doing Business with USAID, in partnership with Konektid International. Mike Shanley, CEO of Konektid International will share best practice on growing your organisations’ work with USAID, funding opportunities and tips for navigating the procurement process, as well as changes to USAID funding following the New Partnerships Initiative and Biden Administration.
- 31st May 2023 16:00-19:30 BST: Road Freight Decarbonisation in Latin America - Join us as we delve into the current challenges and opportunities for decarbonising road freight globally, with a focus on the Latin American region. We will explore solutions and decarbonisation roadmaps in Latin American countries and the potential for UK stakeholders to collaborate and transfer knowledge, experiences and capacities to contribute to the decarbonisation of road freight in the region.
- 4th July 2023 12:00-15:00 BST: Roundtable with Nick Dyer, Director General, Humanitarian and Development - Join us for an in-person roundtable with Nick Dyer, Director General, Humanitarian and Development. Nick will provide an overview of the UK’s International Development Strategy (IDS) and address the key priorities for the UK in delivering humanitarian aid.
For an overview of our planned events for the early part of the year, you can see a useful infographic here: BEI Winter/Spring Events Programme 2023
Register for an upcoming event →
Not a member?
For more information about British Expertise International:
- Sign up to receive this Weekly Update
- View our upcoming webinar events
- Becoming a member
- Follow us on Twitter
- Join our Linkedin group