Dear Members and Friends,
Another very busy week at British Expertise International. We have been honoured to welcome Mike Shanley from KonnektID - who ran an excellent donor clinic on the key issue of partnering with USAID. This was preceded by reception at the US Embassy that Luisa attended. You can see her reflections on these meetings here. Our EDI Working Group welcomed Jess Phillips MP, who in her role as co-chair of the APPG on Women and Work shared some of the highlights from the APPG’s recent report and her own views on the progress and challenges facing women. We also ran a great online panel covering the thoughts of a line up of speakers on the outcomes of the recent UN summit on Water - the first gathering of its kind for over 40 years. Recordings of these events can be found below.
More widely, we are delighted to champion the expertise of UK registered companies in driving positive change in climate. We have seen a number of companies from this area of expertise join us in the last quarter - you can see Alexandra's comments on these three companies here.
British Expertise International/Strategy International
Recordings of recent past events:
- Uzbekistan Infrastructure Deep Dive - This virtual event acted as an opportunity for UK-based organisations and investors to learn about current infrastructure opportunities in Uzbekistan.
- Understanding Climate Risks (Financial Implications of TCFD) - Our panel discussed the transformation of climate risk into financial risk for business, as well as the thought processes utilised by financiers in selecting what organisations and projects to finance based on how they analyse their risk portfolio.
- Making Climate Change Programming More Inclusive - We heard from an exciting panel including speakers from Options, Palladium, Social Development Direct and Sightsavers, speaking about how their organisations are making climate change programming more inclusive. They shared insights from various projects, programmes and frameworks relating to biodiversity, health, disability and how they’re making a positive change in these areas.
- UN Water Conference Panel Discussion - We hosted a session with leading experts in the water sector to explore the outcomes of this conference and the implications it has for the future of the water sector and the planet.
Key events coming up include the following:
- 4th May 2023 10:00-11:30 BST: Integrated Review Refresh: Implications for UK Trade and International Affairs - Join British Expertise International in partnership with the British Foreign Policy Group for an online webinar on the latest Integrated Review Refresh and what this means for foreign policy and international development players.
- 9th May 2023 9:30-11:00 BST: Promoting Women and Girls Education in ASEAN - As part of the engagements around the annual Education World Forum, British Expertise International will host an in-person event marking the launch of FCDO’s new programme on ‘Promoting Women and Girls Education in ASEAN’ and the FCDO’s plans for the UK-ASEAN partnership going forward, as the UK became the ASEAN’s newest Dialogue Partner in 2021.
- 10th May 2023 15:00-16:30 BST: Clinic on World Bank’s Procurement System - Join us for an in-person meeting with specialists from the World Bank Group for a session on navigating the procurement process and showcasing some of the current procurement opportunities in the sectors of interest to BEI members.
- 11th May 2023 15:00-16:30 BST: Strengthening Resilience against Shocks and Stressors in LMICs: A 3ie Evidence Gap Map and Report - In a time where the effects of climate change, human-made disasters, and recurring crisis are contributing to multifaceted and complex emergencies globally, one of the key tools to mitigate these impacts is resilience. Join us as we launch 3ie’s latest Evidence Gap Map report, focused on strengthening resilience against these shocks and stresses in L&MICs!
- 16th May 2023 10:00-11:30 BST: The Social Impacts of Energy Transition in Africa - This event will examine some of the social impacts of energy transition on the African continent. We will hear from our panel on their experience of what they are already seeing on the ground in markets that have seen the swiftest transition to renewable energy sources and discuss the potential future in terms of where our panel see the energy transition bringing the greatest societal benefits – and challenges – in the short and longer term.
- 16th May 2023 15:00-16:30 BST: Peru infrastructure pipeline with ProInversión - We are pleased to welcome Peru’s promotion agency, ProInversión, who will provide an overview of the latest infrastructure pipeline including projects in energy, highways and water treatment plans. ProInversión is a specialized technical agency, attached to the Ministry of Economy and Finance, with legal status under public law, technical, functional, administrative, economic and financial autonomy.
- 18th May 2023 12:30-14:30 BST: Meet the Trade Envoy for Bangladesh, Rushanara Ali - Rushanara Ali MP. Rushanara will provide members with an overview of the future developments and market priorities in Bangladesh, as well as upcoming Government-to-Government plans and future engagements between the UK and Bangladesh which may be of interest.
- 24th May 2023 16:00-19:00 BST: Climate Change Networking Evening - Join us for an evening of thought-provoking conversation, potential new partnerships and the chance to meet with members of our Climate Change Working Group. After the success of our last Climate Change Networking Evening, this is an event not to be missed.
- 31st May 2023 16:00-19:30 BST: Road Freight Decarbonisation in Latin America - Join us as we delve into the current challenges and opportunities for decarbonising road freight globally, with a focus on the Latin American region. We will explore solutions and decarbonisation roadmaps in Latin American countries and the potential for UK stakeholders to collaborate and transfer knowledge, experiences and capacities to contribute to the decarbonisation of road freight in the region.
- 1st June 2023 10:00-12:00 BST: Roundtable on Preparing for a Potential Labour Government - Join British Expertise International for an in-person roundtable with Nick Forbes CBE who will speak on the likely changes in UK policy if there is a change in government at the next election and how this will affect British businesses. Nick will also update members on the likely themes and priorities which will be reflected in the Labour manifesto, covering areas such as foreign policy and inclusion of marginalised groups.
- 4th July 2023 12:00-15:00 BST: Roundtable with Nick Dyer, Director General, Humanitarian and Development - Join us for an in-person roundtable with Nick Dyer, Director General, Humanitarian and Development. Nick will provide an overview of the UK’s International Development Strategy (IDS) and address the key priorities for the UK in delivering humanitarian aid.
For an overview of our planned events for the early part of the year, you can see a useful infographic here: BEI Winter/Spring Events Programme 2023
- July 2023: HP and Cambridge Partnership for Education, part of Cambridge University Press & Assessment, are inviting policy leaders focused on Sub-Saharan African countries to apply for the inaugural cohort of a new Fellowship designed to accelerate effective digital transformation in education systems. This seven-month blended learning programme – including a four-day residential module at the University of Cambridge – is designed to build skills in Education Technology (EdTech), policy, and leadership to empower leaders to build and lead coalitions for change. It will develop a network of leaders across the region and beyond focused on using EdTech more effectively so that millions of children in their countries can realise their potential. There are fully funded scholarships available. Find out more and apply: https://www.edtechfellowship.deficambridge.org/
Not a member?
For more information about British Expertise International:
- Sign up to receive this Weekly Update
- View our upcoming webinar events
- Becoming a member
- Follow us on Twitter
- Join our Linkedin group